<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Wednesday, September 17, 2003

    Right. Back to normal then.

    Today I had to fill out a form for University, and there was a box for "Religion." Now this caused me to pause. I am not ashamed to say that I am an atheist, but it did make me think, when this information was viewed, and someone made their first image of me, how would this influence them?

    In person, anyone you meet is unwittingly bombarded with information. They see your looks, the way you say hello, whether you shake hands or not. Religion if rarely a primary piece of information, and when it is exchanged, it is so watered down by all the other factors, that it becomes irrelevant.

    I am, of course, talking about my own society. In places in Northern Ireland for example, just being Catholic or Protestant in the wrong place can cause huge problems. Some religions with more obvious traits such as a head dress or Burma may also have a stronger influence, however, for simplicity sake my argument is restricted to relatively common religions, which can not be distinguished simply by sight.

    So, now to someone judging a person solely on a written form. Given that all other responses are "average" how much influence does an "unusual" religion have on a person? Atheism ranks up amongst other minority beliefs, simply because compared to atheists there are so many more monotheists, polytheists, and even pantheists. People like to believe in something. Even those that don't really believe, don't go to church or the like, those who are very much in majority, tend to put umbrella terms, like "Christian" into the box.

    By my reckoning "Christian" is the way to go. Non confrontational, non denominational, most people in the UK believe in Christ, heck, even I believe that Jesus existed, whether he was the son of God is another matter. Catholic is ok, but obviously, there are less Catholics than Christians, using the old Dog/Dalmation argument.

    Of course, since it's just a medical form, it shouldn't matter, presumably it relates to blood transfusions and the like. It just made me think, that's all.

    Now my back hurts, and I'm going to eat.
    Comments: Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?