<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Saturday, September 11, 2004

    Addendum to post:

    TEN is a number one greater than a perfect square divisable by 9.
    NINETY is divisible by nine.
    TEN and NINETY have SIX perfect squares between them.

    If each capital letter above represents a different digit, i.e no two letters are the same digit, then what number should be SENT.

    If anyone can get this right, I will be very impressed. The winner will get rare and genuine... respect I guess. Also rights to some of my crisps, sweets or drink at any time of their choosing. And if you find a simpler way than mine, I'll buy you a drink or three.
    Comments:
    Hi Rich,

    Hope you're having a nice holiday.

    I got:
    TEN = 901
    NINETY = 151092
    SIX = 358

    SENT = 3019

    Solution in brief:
    3 digit square numbers:
    100 (two similar digits)
    145
    226 (two similar digits)
    325
    442 (two similar digits)
    577 (two similar digits)
    720 (N can't be 0 since NINETY would then be 0xxxxx)
    901

    So 145, 325, 901 are possibilities. Giving NINETY as one of either 5i541y, 5i523y or 1i109y respectively.

    At this point I cheated slightly and wrote a script to count the number of squares between the 3 digit number TEN and each possibility for NINETY which was divisible by 9.

    I look forward to my free drink :)

    Ciao,
    James. (ma3jof)
     
    Just to clarify, the 3 digit squares listed are the square+1 numbers, where square is a square divisible by 9.
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?