<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Monday, June 20, 2005

    Evil Daystar

    Man I am hyper. I have consumed a small but significant percentage of the total tea output of China today, and am revising hard now. Well obviously not right now, as I am writing this, but you get the point.

    I can not believe it took so long for me to discover the thrills of bouncing on my bed in this room. I have a high ceiling, and a double bed. Let the good times roll. It is marvelously relaxing and a great aid to revision.

    I also have nasty burns on my back from the aforementioned Daystar, or as you may know it, Sol 1. Coupled with my hayfever, which has got much worse recently, what with this unreasonably hot weather, and I am slightly miffed. As the sore face I now have due to shaving with an old blunt razor... Damn high maintenance girlfriends, forcing me to shave like this.

    I say forcing, more suggesting.

    Well, more once-mentioning-she-preferred-me-when-I-am clean-shaven.

    And to be fair, I am not seeing her for another couple of days, so really it is my own damn fault.

    Anyway, I feel the need to rant today, and inspired by Perotheus.com I thought a brief rant about "learning disabilities" was in order.

    Now, given, such things exist, but I do think (note, I had written "feel" but then I realised how untrue that was and how much it annoyed me when others used it like that) that too many people use them as an excuse. This includes both those with them, and, in the case of young children, their parents.

    "Oh he has attention deficit disorder" is not an excuse for your miserable spawn to be running around a restaurant or (gods forbid) library screaming its head off. True, children should be shown love, care and respect, but also have some bloody guts and use discipline once and a while. I do not care what "disorder" or "condition" a person has, if they are causing a disturbance, that makes it your responsibility to deal with it.

    Now, dyslexia. That is a hard one. I know several proud, card carrying members of the DNA (National Dyslexic Association) and I am well aware of the condition. One thing that does mildly amuse me though is that it is stated on a reputable website "About 10% of the population have some form of dyslexia."

    That is one in ten. That is not exactly what you would call a minority group, and yet they use this fact to suggest they need more preferential treatment.

    Personally I think a lot of that 10% are fakers. I mix up my e's and 3's occasionally, and do not even think about starting me off about Greek letters. Damn Epsilons. I even get twist my d's in rather novel and exciting ways, but I would not dream of asking for extra time or anything for it.

    10% seems a popular number, it is also the number of people who are supposedly homosexual. Again, I think this is a skewed statistic. One of those things where you answer questions on a scale of one to five, with only five, being "Never even considered that I might spend time alone with a member of the same sex" counting as "completely heterosexual."

    You know what, I think I lost my thread somewhere back there. Tomorrow, how my exam went (shit, should be revising!) and why I should be able to hate wheelchair users and their ilk.

    Now I'm tired, and I'm going to pass out.

    EDIT: Took a test, on a scale where a score of 8 or higher indicates a strong chance of dyslexia, I scored 11, 9 of which were in the top ten "warning signs" What does this tell us? I do not know, but I am sure as hell not what I would call dyslexic.
    Comments:
    No link?

    I must admit you were lacking in a point there Rich. Won't bouncig on your bed break the springs? Hmm, are you going to stay in that room next year or are you gonna move about the house?
     
    Where can you take this test?
     
    http://www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk/extra328.html

    The British Dyslexia Association.
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?