<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Saturday, August 13, 2005

    Another good day at the pub, not busy enough for three people, but that just made it less work.

    Two odd mathematical things happened today. (how many people will skip this paragraph now?) Firstly, someone asked for a drink with "negative ice." Now I did not press the point, but I was informed that it was a naval term. At first, I thought this would be difficult, since I could not actually remove ice from a drink with none in it. Then it occurred to me that in mathematical proof, in similar situations, you look at what is possible for negative, positive, and zero values. Obviously, negative would be impossible, positive a contradiction. So zero ice was the only conclusion to come to. More accurately, it should have been "non-positive ice" but I decided that I would instead choose a negative amount of ice so small that it tended toward zero, and I put that in the drink.

    The other odd thing (gotcha, you people who tried to skip that paragraph) was that I got a text message asking about the nature of infinity. Or more accurately, if I could "prove it with an equation." I explained what infinity was, and told them to use phrases like "Archimedes' postulate" to sound clever.

    Oh yeah, it was Rebecca who did the texting by the way. (See, I use the least excuse to put you on here...)

    So yeah, in other news I have been messing about with the aforementioned staff recently, and in one interesting turn of events got a smack in the chest with it... I was fighting my brother, he had a staff, I had a rod of bamboo. The idea was, he could do what he wanted, but had to stop if I touched him with the bamboo, that is, I had to prevent him from hitting me by hitting him lightly first.

    This worked well for a while untill both strikes came at the same time, and while I held the moral high ground of winning, I also gathered a bruise in the process.

    Right, I should go to bed now.

    Log on to MSN for the gods' sakes, filth and poison.
    Comments:
    you're a mathematical freak you know that.... I think its fun explaning maths to people because, while doing so, you usually discover you've forgotten it all...
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?