<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Friday, August 12, 2005

    I have a new toy :-D

    It is a hardwood staff, which I am using to practice both my fire staff technique, and my general beating the hell out of things technique.

    Interestingly, despite being a swordsman (by training at least) I am beginning to appreciate the stave as a weapon of choice. It does not have the deadly edge of a sword, and so strikes have to be clean and careful. With a sword, a wild thrust or swing can get lucky, and even in a non lethal area, can afflict an opponent with serious injuries. However, the extra range a staff provides, combined with the fact that if an opponent is swinging wildly, they can easily be blocked, means that the staff can still be potent.

    Contrary to popular belief, swords in general need quite a degree of force to do damage, and I actually do not know how to do this effectively. Presented with a sword and asked to fight for my life, I would have to rely on thrusts, and keeping an opponent at a safe distance until I found an opening to stab through. I do not think any of the slashing attacks I have learned could be performed with enough speed and force to cut, without being so obvious that they were easily stopped.

    With a staff however, I find that by keeping it in motion, or tension, or even compression, either end can be swiftly spun round to a target, and when you also factor in the fact that nobody wants to be poked in the face with a long bit of wood, then it starts to seem dangerous. By aiming for the head, knees, ands and groin, your blows only need be enough to disarm or drop your opponent, and suddenly, it does not matter whether your weapon is sharp or not...

    Anyway...

    A rather slow day at the pub today. At times I was the only person in the room. Well at least the ash trays were the cleanest that they have ever been.

    On the Russian front, still chilly. A cold front, if not a war.

    One particularly red faction has re-opened communications, but so far, no negotiations have taken place. The other still has an information blockade in place.

    And to think, I have not even written about the straw that broke the spine of the dromedary yet.

    Damn, I choose weird analogies.
    Comments:
    Sticks and bars... and with this you areclose to overtaking me on the webcounter. Curse your blackened, very popular, heart.
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?