<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Sunday, September 18, 2005

    Hey, twochairs! 

    So, you are overweight, you take up two seats on an aeroplane, and you think you should only be charged for one. Where, exactly, does a defence for that position lie?

    Now I am the first to admit that I have a bias here… I fit into one seat, and pay a reasonable rate for it. If larger persons are allowed to occupy more than their allotted space for the same price, one of two things will happen.

    1. I am forced to sit next to one of these people, and they overflow on top of me. Now I have experienced this situation before, it is not pleasant. On an aeroplane I would be forced to resort to flame and violence after the first half-hour.

    1. They get their two seats, thus losing the airline money, which would be regained by raising ticket prices. And thus making me pay more, again not good.

    Alternatively, as the aforementioned larger group of people are suggesting, the planes could be refitted for persons of size. (Which is a stupid name actually, I am also a person of size, it is just a reasonable size…) This again would cost me more, for a seat that is too big for me, and if we follow that logic, then we should make more headroom for tall people too, and move the seats forward for people with long legs, or forearms. The list goes on.

    For me, it is a black and white issue, you pay for what you use. Demanding that everyone use more, and everyone pay more, is not the answer. Take this example, I want 4G Internet access for next year, plenty of other student houses will not need, or even be able to afford this outlay. Do I complain that I have to pay more because I need more speed for what I do? Do I demand that all people should be required to pay the same, for a connection they do not use? Bad analogy I know, but I hope my point comes through.

    A better comparison is that of single travellers on holiday. Most rooms are doubles, so if you travel on your own, you pay a premium. You are taking up an entire room, which could sleep 2 people, so you pay for it. Of course, you could demand that all people can only have one room each, and that no two people should be allowed to sleep in the same double bed, but then you would be stupid.

    To be fair, my opinion is mainly based on the fact that I really, really do not want to be crushed by someone overflowing their seat, and I also do not want to have to pay more for this right to personal space.
    Comments:
    First of all, you NEED a superfast connection? I'm not sure WoW counts as a need my friend.

    Second of all, agree, if you take up two seats, you should probably pay for it.

    Third of all, my blog comes up on your links now as "Least erotic food" which is kind of weird, although it occurs to me that that might be a better title for my blog.
     
    First of all, do fat people NEED to go on holiday?

    Second of all, thankyou.

    Third of all... well, you recall when you were discussing it over at your blog? Try searching google for "Least erotic food" (With quotes) I rest my case. As for Yahoo...
     
    I agree rich, but you know that! i dont think we sld ban fatties from going on holidays but maybe as we have holidays for over 50's we should also have holidays for those over a reasonalble weight??! Muse
     
    Hah! Club 18-30... Stone!
     
    mmm, apparently you are linked to more than I am as you now rate higher for least erotic food.... some website has also ripped me off!
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?