<$BlogRSDUrl$>

It's only semi autobiographical

  • My Profile
  • Sunday, December 18, 2005

    The unthinkable 

    I did something rare today... I laughed at a mathematical joke.

    (Insert Paul saying "Kieran" here if you are that way inclined.)

    (That was Paul)

    Anyway, yes, I have been revising (weeks in advance! Wow!) for Advanced Group Theory, a very dull, exact, and boring subject, lifted from complete tedium by a very intelligent-looking and softly spoken professor.

    So, I have been very much in this straightforward, serious mindset, until I came across the following quote in a mathematical text.

    "What is commutative and purple? And abelian grape."

    Yeah, sad is it not? Ah well, back to revision.
    Comments:
    Heh, and you said "and" instead of "an". Heh heh. Group theory is so very hard- I figure the way forward is to be capable of doing all the problem sheets and prove all necesaray theorems, then we can pick up random marks for easy unseen stuff..
     
    Why K, that was part of the joke... you do get it don't you?
    Yeah it's hard, I'm looking at the latest exam paper on his site now, even with the solutions I'm not really getting it. You may have a mathematical shadow when we return to Bath :-)
     
    Oh, and also "easy unseen stuff" I love your optimism!
     
    Well... if we have to prove something is a subgroup. That's always good. I'm going through problem sheets right now, I love the way how his answers miss out vital steps here and there. Still, I understand the first 4 sheets anyways.....
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?